Tuesday, October 21, 2008

For those about to Blog...

I've decided it is about time for someone to take over the task of making this portion of the internets more interesting... so without further adieu I give you... whatever I happen to be thinking about for the next 10-15 minutes.

It may not seem like it but what I have really been pondering a lot lately are baby names. Seeing as our gestating fetus is currently only known as him, he, it, or little guy even after 7 months of brainstorming one might think that we have been aloof in our responsibility. That is not at all true though. We have poured through those useless baby name books, scoured the web, tapped our friends for ideas... but nothing really seems to fit perfectly for him who still remains nameless.

Part of the problem traces back to my band naming days. We came up with a lot more stupid and hilarious names than we did good ones. Call me immature or something but i have a lot more fun sitting around thinking of funny things to name the kiddo, rather than actually coming up with socially acceptable titles. The Frank Zappa approach (naming kids Dweezil or Moon Unit) would be funny for a couple days, but eventually the buyers remorse would settle in and the name, like a novelty electric guitar shaped like a stone with a sword stuck through it, would have to be exchanged for a more traditional and less cumbersome moniker.

I maintain that it will be easier to do once we actually see mister bun from the oven. The only problem with this is that the pressure is really on at that point. I hear they actually want you to name the child before it leaves the hospital, and if that is the case, I'm not sure I can stand the pressure. We could name him "#1" or son of Zach, and then just let him choose his own name once he is old enough to reason through the temptation of referring to himself as Batman or Crapbag. Of course, seeing how hard it is for me to not consider naming him Astird (for you Office watchers) he might not reach that maturity level until well after his 30th birthday.

Regardless, I can't wait till he gets through with his prego pergatory and comes out to play. His mom and I have a lot of great things to show him.

For Reals... here is the shortlist in no particular order:
-Dexter
-Lucas
-Adam
-Andrew
-Mark

7 comments:

Courtney B said...

whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances name him Lucas. only because that is one of the few boy names i love. then i will be down in options if i ever have a boy.

Ksenia said...

I'm sure when he's of age, his name of choice would be Batman, Elmo or even worse, Poop (my sister's favorite word when she started to talk). I'm not sure I can live with any of those.

Courtney, I can make no promises. That's the only name I've really considered naming him since I found out I was pregnant. I'm glad we share the good taste :)

Hailey said...

I think Dexter would be awesome. Do it!!

Mal said...

As long as you don't name the kid "our gestating fetus," I will be happy. *shudder* And please never use that phrase again.
Honestly, for me the true contenders are Dexter and Lucas. And I've been thinking it over and I think the most plausible way to decide on his name would be to make two squirrels (or any kind of rodent really), one named Lucas and the other named Dexter, fight to the death, and name the boy after the one who lives. Unless you were really fond of the one that died... then maybe you'd want to name your son in his honor. Shoot. I didn't foresee that hole in my plan. I'll keep thinking, no worries.

ali monson said...

I really like Dexter and Lucas. Can't wait to see the little guy. Hope December comes fast for you!

Mandee said...

I think you should name him Jonas Benjamin Franklin Everton, but Dexter is really cool too. Why does everyone like the name Lucas so much?! Before I met Luke Fisher it always reminded me of Mucus or Puke... it still does but LF just makes Mucus and Puke seem kinda cool.

B said...

I like the name Dexter a lot! Check out nameberry.com it's a really good site and you can create a profile and keep track of your favorites. It has origins, meanings, etc.