It got me thinking.....!! Is there more we can do to stay close? It would be mine and your dad’s greatest desire to make sure our family stays connected and stays close to each other. I would just hate to see us drift apart, because it’s easy to do if we don’t work on it. Having our family reunions as Travis is planning this summer is a GREAT way to stay connected and to always make it priority to come....no matter what! But what about throughout the year? I think it’s important that we continue to make phone calls on birthdays. That’s a great time to check in with each other. We all like to be remembered on our birthdays!
Another thought I had was using this blog as a check in point. I know I’ve been horrible about keeping it up, but I promise to do better. This will be a great incentive for me to do better if you like this idea! If I submit a post, at least monthly, if not weekly, which would be ideal and then each of you just submit a comment with a few sentences mentioning you or your families highlights from that week, then at least we’ll have an idea of what everyone is up to. What do you think??? I’m open for suggestions or comments! Let me know!!!
For our highlights this week:
I found a Neuro-Psychologist to take Beau to. Her name is Dr. Elaine Grief (That’s with a long “i”). I’m really encouraged that she can be helpful to us. She seems familiar with what Beau is going through with his hallucinations that he sees and believes. We have a 2-hour appointment with her on Monday, May 23rd! This has been a long time in coming so we’re very excited about it.
We’ve hired Harold Clark to come and start working on our front yard. We are very excited to design new landscaping for it without the trees. Hopefully you won’t even recognize it the next time you come! (In a good way)
I still have a bladder infection and am on my third round of antibiotics and they don’t seem to be helping either. I go in for a CT scan tomorrow afternoon to check the surgery site and make sure things are healing as they should.
Dad’s going strong with his diet and has lost around 10 lbs. all ready.
We received a visit from our Stake President, President Bair, and the visiting General Authority for Stake Conference, Elder Ringwold, yesterday. They came to visit Beau. We had a wonderful visit. Elder Ringwold left the message with Beau, that he had learned everything he needed to know about enduring to the end when he served his mission..... and the other message he left was the our Heavenly Father loves each one of us individually and is very aware of what we are going through. He then used his visit with Beau to introduce his talk in Stake Conference this morning and talked more in-depth on the same message. It was a beautiful talk and the spirit was so strong. It was also a great reminder for our testimonies that we are literal children of our Heavenly Father and he LONGS to bless us.
I love you ALL!
4 comments:
We are on board with the weekly update, and look forward to hearing from everyone!
One thing to think about...should we consider taking this blog private, so we can speak more freely about things that we wouldn't necessarily want to share with the world??
Recent happenings in the Garvin family include...
- Taylor is consistently sleeping 5-7 consecutive hours at night, which is allowing Kimball to get a lot more sleep. Ok...maybe Melissa, but Kimball is grateful for a less sleep deprived wife! He continues to be a great baby.
- McKay is taking after his Aunt Mallory, and secured a major role in the Three Piggy Opera as the Big Bad Wolf. He nailed his solo, lines, and even broke out jazz hands in the big finish.
- We recently overhauled our front yard, which included overseeding and covering the yard in soil derived from human waste (not kidding). It's showing a lot of promise already. To keep the birds away from the seed, we strategically placed toy dinosaurs in the yard to serve as scarecrows. It was a little trick employed at Kimball's house in his youth.
- We have big plans for memorial day weekend, which will include deck and fence staining, re-painting house trim, pressure washing cement, and revamping some landscape in the back yard. If you can't think of anything to do that weekeend, you are welcome to come help us out!
- We are planning to bless Taylor the first weekend in June in Portland. Still trying to decide if we will do it at a ward, or at home with family. We will keep you posted. All are invited to participate. Kennedy's birthday is also that weekend, so a party is also on the docket. Feel free to pool gift money to purchase an iPad.
That's about it... we are looking forward to your updates!!
Kimball, Melissa, & McTayladee
We are very much on board as well. Our own blog has been suffering, maybe I should get that started again. Kimball (I'm assuming you wrote that) your update was hilarious. I cannot even try to be that funny in our update, so I won't. :)
Here is our happenings as of late:
-We have been in Kansas for almost a month now. We love the area we live in. It is beautiful and green. Reminds us quite a bit of Portland. We have found the people here to be super friendly. Our neighbors brought us easter treats our second day here. Our ward is awesome. Its kind of refreshing to be out of Utah again for a bit.
-We are definitely back in summer sales mode. If you can believe it, Drew is busier than he has ever been before. He is working like a mad man and continues to impress me at how well he works with people and handles such a crazy work load. We are so grateful for this job and opportunity and especially grateful for the friends we have out here with us.
-Mae is potty trained!!!!! HOORAY! She is a champ. (we haven't started night training yet....advice on that would be much appreciated). She is a little chatter box and very curious. She is always wanting to help with whatever I'm doing and always asking me what happened. I REALLY love the stage she is in. She seems to be growing out of her shyness just a little bit too.......just a little bit. You uncles, I still wouldn't expect much from her. haha
-Jonah is talking more and more. He is WAY busier than Mae ever was at his age. He is into everything and much more physical.....climbing and running, jumping off of things, throwing stuff. 100% boy. He is in destruction phase; pull/dump everything out and move onto the next thing.
-Jonah started nursery our first Sunday here. He and Mae have both been successfully going on their own since our move. HAPPY DAY! Drew and I going to Sunday school together has been like getting to go on a date. We LOVE it!
-Almost every time I'm at the store with the kids I get asked how old my twins are. With Jonahs size and his head of hair it really throws people off. If I don't get a twin comment then its a ,"wow you have your hands full" comment.
-I have FINALLY started training for Hood to Coast. I am so pumped to run it again.
-Thats all we got folks. We miss you. We love you. Can't wait for reunion time/Hood to Coast. Excited for these updates.
~Hai Sue & Fam
FAMILY!!!
Guh, I miss you all.
So quick clarification: we'll all regularly post our updates on whatever Mom posts every week? Also, we decided on a day (maybe Sundays?), it might be easier for me to remember to update. Loving this though. Feel like I miss out on all my niece-children nephew-children's childrenhoods.
I'ma keep this brief-- just a few lightning updates:
1) BUSY. SO BUSY. I'm editing a capstone film (it's kicking my derri-french-ere), while taking full spring class load (including water aerobics-- sidenote: I am a TERRIBLE swimmer. I swear I nearly drown every class. Is that an Everton trait? Or just a Mal thing? Woof.), trying to get in as many hours as possible as an editor/writer/producer for the University Communications Department, and doing freelance DC shows (we are performing at a high school grad party next Wednesday at 2 AM. Ha!) while cranking out new ideas and getting ramped up for next season.
2) I've made a summer goal to post a new music video of mine every week on youtube. Started this week, and I'm hoping it'll force me to sing, play, and write more-- I don't get much of a music fix in my major at the moment so this is my solution. Anyway, check out my facebook once a week and hopefully I'll have at least 15 by the end of the summer.
3) I am happy and well. :)
Love you all. Let's make this a thing!
Colleen, thanks for regrouping us all! I would love to hear more frequent updates from everyone. I feel very uncool learning about big family events from facebook.
1. Zach has been working CRAZY hours at work. Many 12 hour days and some 18 hour days. But he's been doing great work and making a lot of improvements to their processes.
2. I have been working two days a week and am really enjoying it. I teach "Cell biology for cell professionals", it's a course geared to pre-nursing, pre-vet, pre-dental, pre-med, pre-EMT, and such students. I really enjoy it, although I have a student this quarter who is driving me crazy.
3. We bought a play structure on Craigslist. I was a huge pain to move and put together but Lucas and all of his friends LOVE it.
4. Anya has been very cranky the last 6 or so weeks. We keep suspecting teeth, but if they are coming, they are taking their time. She is almost 8 months and still wakes up at least 3 or 4 times a night, sometimes every hour and a half.
5. Still working on Lucas' potty training. He does really well if we remind him to go potty. But overall, he doesn't really care if he's wet or dirty. Never did.
6. Zach turned 30. We celebrated by having a karaoke-pie party. A few days later Zach and I had a night out on the town. We had an incredibly delicious dinner at VQ (highly recommend it), bummed around downtown portland like the old days, spent the night at a fancy hotel (getting a full 8-hour night of sleep!) and had a fantastic brunch at Mother's (also highly recommend). So far Zach does not like being 30. I hope he'll get used to it in the next couple of years or else 40 will be a real shocker.
Post a Comment