It's hot here in Portland. It got to 102 yesterday and is supposed to be just as hot today. Yesterday, I spent a very relaxing, quiet day, mostly in Borders Books because it is air conditioned, which felt very indulgent after the very hectic last month or so I've had with non-stop activities and preparations for those activities and spending all day Monday getting my life back under control. It felt so great just browsing and sitting in Borders in a soft chair with my feet up on one of those rolling step stools they use to get books down from a high shelf, enjoying that air conditioning. There were lots of other people around me that, I could tell, were there for the same reason I was, because they spent about the same amount of time there as I did.
I spent most of my day finishing a novel I bought several months ago that I lost half-way through reading it. It was just getting to the climax of the story when I lost it and it was kind of driving me crazy to not be able to finish. It was too new to be in the library yet and I didn't want to buy it again, so I finished it at Borders yesterday and it was a very satisfying feeling to know the end of that book. The rest of the time I spent reading a book I bought with a gift certificate I received. It's this book I want to recommend to all of you. The name of it is, "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. I first heard about this book on Oprah, I have to admit. But I was fairly skeptical. I only half listened to the program while doing something else and it sounded kind of hokey. But I'm half-way finished with the book now and it's just common sense. It really isn't a secret. It basically comes down to the "law of attraction" that we attract what we think about. If we think about positive things, positive things will happen to us. If we think of negative things, they of course will happen. I can't say it's the cure all for our lives. It just is a great book to read and decide for yourself how you feel about it. I think a major thing the book leaves out, which is why I was skeptical about it in the first place is recognition of the Lord's hand in our lives and the inspiration we receive from the spirit, so as long as we realize that, the book is very motivating and empowering and there's only good things that come from that.
It's just a suggestion to add to your list of books to read. Check it out! (I haven't figured out how to get graphics off the internet or I would have posted a picture of the book. Sorry, so boring.) I love you all!!
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You guys have GOT to get some AC going on in that house! It's so worth it not to be uncomfortable for the summer months. It's funny because today in Vegas it was 108 and we were totally enjoying the cooler weather after a week in the 120's and teens. We even have some clouds which we haven't seen since we were in Oregon.
Gosh, I love those rare days when I can sit and read without feeling the stress of "I really should be doing something else right now."
It's hot, but I'm not tired of it yet (probably because during the summer, air-conditioned places find it necessary to AC until subfreezing temperatures. I'm cold all day!)
Post a Comment