Tuesday, April 3, 2007

General Conference Blog

I have been trying and trying to think of something to blog about for forever now and I couldn't think of anything blog-worthy that was going on with us. I have yet to be accepted to the university of my choice, to be inspired to poetry at my job, or to find some cool video clip or picture to share. But today I thought of a new and different kind of blog I could post. I just got back from one of our midweek enrichment activities which is a scripture study class taught by a very wise and learned lady in our ward. (Her name is Deann Ludwig, and her son is actually going to start working for Sorenson Capital this summer, so we have a little connection there.) She is amazing and I have gotten so much out of this class. This week the whole class was just filled with everyone sharing their favorite parts of conference. Thoughts they had, impressions they recieved, applications to their lives. It was such a neat discussion and so interesting to see the different things that stuck out to people that I hadn't really thought about. Then I thought, I wonder if we could do that in a blog? What if anyone who wanted to, added a comment about their favorite talk or what they got out of conference and shared it with the rest of us. I think this could be very cool. Kind of like we were all sitting around on the Sunday night after conference with our notes on our laps, answering Mom and Dad's questions about conference and trying to get the chance to choose a conference prize out of the bowl. This would be just a little more grown up verision of that...I guess...and maybe Travis wouldn't peek at my notes because he slept through all the sessions and doesn't know any of the answers. (Just kidding, Trav...I'll e-mail you my notes if you need them!) Anyway, lets see if this works...if nothing comes of it I will try and think of something else to blog about, but I am telling you now...you are going to just get a bunch of stories about the kids because that is my life right now. And they really do say and do the darndest things...

4 comments:

Zach said...

This is a great idea lissa, an excellent Blog topic.

I was particularly inspired by Elder Hollands talk on the power of words. It was a perfect spin on the usual don't swear advice. Like the Savior coming and saying it is not only bad to commit adultry, but thinking about it is just as bad... I think this was a call from Elder Holland, at similar proportions. When one of the most passionate tools we have is our tongue, then an important part of brideling our passions is certainly watching the way we speak to family, friends, and even total strangers.

Anonymous said...

Well, my thought doesn't have to do with a particular talk because of traveling circumstances I didn't get to see much of conference. But Drew and I did get to attend the second session of conference on Saturday in the conference center.I must say I was disappointed in the beginning because we found out we would be watching that session of conference on a big screen in the conference center while the general authorities and President Hinckley spoke from the Tabernacle.
My first reaction after finding that out wasn't very Christ-like I have to admit. I thought "well we might as well leave because we don't get to see what we came here for." But then I instantly thought that it doesn't matter where you are watching it from or who is in the room. The message is the same wherever you are. Its what you yourself are prepared to get from what you are listening to and if you can apply those things to your life. So although conference in the conference center was different than expected I gained an even greater appreciation for conference through the experience and look forward to reading all the talks I missed.

Colleen said...

Lissa, what a great idea. I especially like it because I miss all of you so much at conference time because I have a lot of memories of our "conference game". I remember trying to make it work for Mallory when she was just little and the rest of you were so much older so I'd ask her questions like, "Who is the prophet?" I look forward to hearing all of your thoughts and comments.
My favorite talk was President Faust's talk on "Forgiveness". I was just really touched by it. I loved his reminder of the story of the Amish when the man shot some of their youth and how they forgave him and were so concerned about the welfare of his family. It was such a great example of Christlike love. I think it was especially pertinent to me because there is some contention going on in my family while I was down there and it really brought everything into perspective even more that we need to do all we can to show love and not selfishness even if we feel justified. He gave it in such a humble, heartfelt way.

Melissa said...

Wonderful! Thank you so much for your comments everyone. I was really touched by this conference and I think part of it was it was the first time in a while I was really able to sit down and watch a couple of sessions. I am so amazed at the ability we have to access conference from almost anywhere in the world. We don't get conference on TV like most of you lucky people, but we were able to watch it on ksl.com just as if we did. I put the computer on the table and just played playdoh with Kayla and McKay through the whole session. It was so great!
I really was touched by Elder Eyring's talk about "Someday." Mostly I think it was because I am such a procrastinator and it is one of my most frustrating weaknesses. It affects me in all areas of my life and I am constantly working on it. I am always searching and praying how I can turn this weakness into my strength. His words rang so true to me where he talked about how the reason people delay is often because of two things: complacency or feeling overwhelmed. I feel I switch back and forth between these two places in my life. What brought me much comfort and just inspired me to do better were the amazing promises he gave. He said " For those who are discouraged by their circumstances and are therefore tempted to feel they cannot serve the Lord this day, I make you two promises. Hard as things seem today, they will be better in the next day if you choose to serve the Lord this day with your whole heart. Your circumstances may not be improved in all the ways which you desire. But you will have been given new strength to carry your burdens and new confidence that when your burdens become too heavy, the Lord, whom you have served, will carry what you cannot. He knows how. He prepared long ago. He suffered your infirmities and your sorrows when He was in the flesh so that He would know how to succor you.
The other promise I make to you is that by choosing to serve Him this day, you will feel His love and grow to love Him more...By serving Him this day, you will come to know Him better. You will feel His love and appreciation. You would not want to delay receiving that blessing. And feeling His love will draw you back to His service, wiping away both complacency and discouragement." This talk just made me want to jump up right then and get to work.
I also loved the part where he talked about starting each morning with scripture study and asking the Lord what he would have you do that day. He talked about "His" will for you that day not always being easy, and he explains this..."On many days, doing what matters most will not be easy. It is not supposed to be. God's purpose in creation was to let us prove ourselves." I thought that was so true. We have to learn to do the hard things in life. We really are here to prove oursleves worthy of returning to His presence. Anyway...sorry this is so long. Good talk, though.