Monday, April 9, 2007

How I Can Hate the 'Music Industry' and Still Love the Music

The music industry is full of contradictions. People that seem to be able to write the most gathered, and poetic songs, just so happen to have the most screwed up lives. People who sing professionally are also chain smokers. Artists who rely on keen motor skills to perform adequately build addictions to depressants and intoxicating beverages.

So many times I have watched artists climb the charts while pursuing the ugliest of self destructive behavior... but no matter how many times Scott Wieland goes into rehab for his heroine addiction, he comes out and starts a band that once again gets played every hour on the radio.

But this stuff doesn't really bug me that much... I can see how the few people that reach the level and pace of superstardom could start to self medicate in order to curb the edge a bit (though I am in no way condoning such behavior). What really chaps my hide... what really fills my tank... what really bakes my bread... is the fact that the music industry seems to require that artists have dedication enough to master the most difficult of instruments... and yet, musicians are the flakiest people I know. HOW DOES THAT WORK?!?!?

In addition... With an art form like music which is so dependant on true and heartfelt expression, why is it that the music industry is so based on exploitation of these feelings for the highest gross profit? Why can't a company be interested in me or my band enough to give us a chance, without bleeding us of every potential penny of profit? They roll into town like the savior of all garage bands promising friendship and success for hard working musicians, saying things like: "We LOVE your sound, it is very unique" they say "We want to do YOU a favor... We'll let you play 5 songs in front of 10 major label talent scouts... all you need to do is show up and play (and then under their breath) and pre sell the mandatory 100 tickets at $12 a piece. Don't worry if you can't presell that much you can just pay us the money. $1200 is the 'meager' sum. All of which you will never see a red cents worth of again because... we're doing you a favor." With friends like these, I'd rather be antisocial. It's a heck of a lot cheaper. At least when I end up with nothing to do on a Friday night, I'd still have my money.

Despite the continual disrespect, I am here... taking its neglect and exploitation full force in the chest, because: I love the Music.

It moves me. It inspires me. It explains my happiness, and understands my sadness. It cures my boredom, encourages my creativity. Like these songs I found today (see below). Be they serious or be they not; I had a great time listening to them today. I hope you do too. I'm not sure where this Blog is going other than that. Music is great even if the industry is the spawn of all that is greedy, lazy, overproduced, and underappreciated.

MEEKY ROSIE - FOREVER

JOSE GONZALEZ - CROSSES


APPLESEED CAST - FIGHT SONG


GOGOL BORDELLO - START WEARING PURPLE

7 comments:

Kimball said...

I am willing to turn a blind eye to the train wrecks that are most musicians, as long as they continue to produce work like was recently emailed to me in the form of a link to youtube. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u680GPkBq7A&mode=related&search=

Zach said...

For those of you who would rather not copy and paste kimball's link into your browser CLICK HERE.

Kimball said...

Solid use of technology Zach.

Travis said...

OK, Timmy T is pretty rad. But seriously Zach, how does a real band get a real break in this business? Is this the crap you have to put up with to make it big or can it still happen a little more genuinely?

Zach said...

There are a lot of people out there that like to take advantage of people in bands who want to play big shows but don't have the capital to produce one. The problem with these people is they don't have the capital either. That is where the term "pay-to-play" comes from. They rent a space and then offload the costs by demanding that bands sell a minimum amount of tickets, or pay the difference if they don't meet quota. Not everyone does this, and you certainly can (and should) avoid it. There is really no ROI.

We've played 2 of these shows... Let's just say... we've vowed never to play any of these shows again. They're all about bling; showing off by playing a really nice, big club... when there is really nothing big going on at all.

The real problem with this latest incident was the fact that they tried to pull the wool over our eyes by witholding the fact that they actually wanted us to pay them money. If they had been up front about it that would've been a whole different story. It is very obvious they know what they are doing is mucho lame.

Ksenia said...

There seem to be contradictions any place where money governs. As one of the leading heart researchers in the world, my boss is a chain smoker who overindulges in fatty foods and is fueld by hard liquor. In a field where progress supposedly comes from pure inquiries, observation, and ubiased experimentation... my project has been switched four times because of financial reasons. I sound like you did writing this blog, don't I...it seems to be everywhre. But I guess if we want to take part in these industries, we have to put up with a little bit of this crap, but there's a delicate balance between living in the system and totally selling out. Ugh... money...ugh!

Dad E. said...

I don't know anything about the music industry, but I do know what I like. I just listened to your myspace again. These are songs I would pick up off of iTUNES without hesitation.

Love your music....DAD