Saturday, April 7, 2007

Lady Jane Has Arrived

So, stop me if you've heard this one. A dad gets a frantic call from his wife-- "It's time, honey!" He rushes around grabbing overnight bags, dropping the kid off at the sitter, and starts to head for the hospital with his wife bleeting "He He He He, Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo" with increasing intensity. Realizing that his wife is literally minutes from having this baby, he drives like a mad man, weaving in and out of traffic, running red lights, horn blaring through intersections, and screeches to a halt at the hospital doors just minutes before hearing the first cries of the newborn child. Scene from a melodrama rerun on Lifetime you say? Oh no, try the day April 6 in the life of the Travis and Margaret Evertons.

Seriously folks-- Margaret was one false push from having the baby in the back seat of our car. Her water broke the minute we left our townhouse complex. Thank goodness for Trish being there-- she talked her through the contractions and kept her from pushing using lamaze tactics. When it dawned on me how serious the situation was, I tested the limits of my speedometer, hitting the maximum 110 mph on the I-15 (I blew by a cop going 90-- he didn't do a thing). I dropped Mar and Trish off at the emergency exit and went to park the car. I grabbed the bags, ran to the hospital, and by the time I reached room E405, my daughter had already been born: Jane Everton (middle name still TBD).

What a contrast to our last delivery, where Will and Margaret both suffered through a 26 hour delivery. With Will, Margaret pushed for almost 2 hours. With Jane, Margaret pushed for 30 seconds (1 push folks-- that's all it took!) Margaret had been hoping that she would delivery naturally this time, and she certainly got her wish.

Mom and baby are doing great. Lady Jane weighed in at 6 lbs. 10 oz., and measured 21 inches long. She's got a tuft of reddish brown hair and puckers her lower lip like her brother Will. She's bright eyed and alert-- her adrenaline probably still rushing like ours from the whirlwind afternoon we all had. We couldn't be happier and look forward to bringing her home on Easter Sunday.

7 comments:

Dad E. said...

What a beautiful granddaughter. I anticipate that her whirlwind arrival is foreshadowing the impact that she will have on the life of your family. Congratulations to Margaret, Travis and Will. A new baby. How marvelous. I love you all....DAD

Colleen said...

We were SO excited to see the pictures of our beautiful granddaughter, Jane! We've been anxiously waiting to see her and are so excited she's here...and what an exciting entrance she made! Now that I've seen her, I can't wait to HOLD her. Hope to see you soon! I love you all and am so grateful that everything went well and everyone is healthy and happy and doing great.

Ksenia said...

I am sooo happy for you guys! It's amazing how quickly she came, it must be every mother's dream to have a delivery like that. I didn't even know it was possible. I'm sorry you missed it Travis, but I'm sure you're glad that it was easy on Mar and Jane.

I talked with my mom yesterday and she wanted to also send her best wishes. Her daughter (my little sister Marichka) was also born on April 6th at about the same time of day. So this news was very exciting to her (we're an excitable family). Jane is beautiful! And Mar, you look great! I am so glad all is well and can't wait to meet Jane.

Zach said...

I can tell that Baby Lady Jane has already brought a little more sunshine into the world. It makes me happier just knowing where there once was three, there now is four. You guys are wonderful parents, and I know that this little girl is going to do some big things.

Melissa said...

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! We could not be more excited for you guys! Hearing your experiences and excitement takes us back to when our kids were born and how indescribable that whole experience is. Words cannot do it justice. To see that little person come into this world, into your family...To wonder who they will be, and what life will hold for them. It is amazing! She is beautiful...and Mar you do look great! I can't wait to talk to you about your side of the story. I have a million questions! We love you guys!

Kimball said...

Congratulations!! We are glad that everyone is happy and healthy.

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for the new addition of Lil' Jane! I'm glad all went well and that you are all safe and sound at home. Love you guys!