Saturday, September 15, 2007

Homework Help...



So i need help with a reasearch project i am doing. I need all, who want to participate, to define the word "beat," "groove," and "rhythm." Just define them in your own words. You can use examples if you want. It's really funny because i am so out of place in this class. I registered late, so i had to take some interesting classes. This one is World Music Cultures. It's like 30 band and choir concerts members and then me. I tihnk my teacher has already thought a couple of times, "What is up with this Scarbrough character? He doesn't know a thing about music!" I can tell when i answer a question in the class and he says things like, "Yeah....well.... that kind of ties in." Oh well, i try. Anyway, if anyone could just help me out, that would be great!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

This should be an interesting class. I'm sure you'll do great because you find a way to do great at whatever you do. Here's my definitions of "beat", "groove", and rhythm.

The "beat" is the main foundation of the music. It's what you are doing when you tap your foot during a song. You're counting out the beat. It's what the drummer tends to play. When someone is leading music, they are counting out the beat. Some music is 4/4 time, some 3/4 time, etc. The first number is how many beats to a measure of a song. (Hailey knows what a measure is, if you're not sure about that.) (The second number is what note gets one count, in these two examples (4) means a quarter note. That's probably way more information than you want on "beat", but take what you want from it.

"Groove" is to me the feel of the music. Getting in the "groove" means you're allowing yourself to feel the music and your body responds by tapping your foot or moving in rhythm, such as dancing, or you may start humming, etc.

"Rhythm", this one, for some reason is harder for me to explain. It's similar to the beat, but it goes further. There are different types of rhythm in music, such as syncopated, off-beat, staccato (which means kind of short, quick sounds), legato (which means smooth connected sounds). It's the style of the music you are hearing. I think this is a terrible definition of rhythm, so hopefully someone else can define it better.

Good luck on your class.

Margaret Everton said...

Beat. The pulse of the music.

Groove. A funky, varying expression in the music, often improvised.

Rhythm. The measured flow of repeated patterns in a piece of music.

(Am I too late to give my input?)