Monday, December 10, 2007

Rockin' around the Stake Center

the year 2007 marks a significant time for me and my friends. it has been ten years since we formed what is now known as Lindsey Pool. Hard to believe that I am old enough to have been doing something for ten years. In August of 1997 we spent a week in my parents house recording our first demo, and then in October we played our first gig at the Hillsboro Stake center. There was a man there with a decibel meter telling us between every song that we needed to turn down (a situation we found ourselves in many times as we tried to blend Mormon Dances with Rock Bands).

Ten years, four wives, four babies, 3 band names, and five albums later... we played our ten year anniversary show in the same spot as our first show. It was nice to play a show without a man with a decibel meter, and it was at least good to see that we sounded better than we did ten years ago.

Often times we have been confronted with the fact that we have played together for years and don't seem to be any more "successful" than we were when we started. Still playing stake centers instead of sold out formal venues, still flipping the bill for our own recordings, and still hauling our own gear up and down the stairs at Greg's house before and after every show. The explanation for that is that even if we never make a dime at this (and to date we are finally breaking even on our investments) we are doing what we love to do, making original music and exploring the creative process of bringing a song from inception through to production.

Ten years ago, we all got together because we loved music, and wanted to play. Ten years later, that is still the reason we are here. We have seen tons of other bands in Portland form, sparkle, and then die like shooting stars because they couldn't get the immediate huge gigs and big money they were expecting. I'm still in a band with my best friends because it wasn't ever really about the money, it was always about the music. I like that about us.

Maybe someday someone who is really about the music will hear it, and we might get a piece of some of that action, or maybe we never will, but I will never regret the time I've spent with my friends making music.

For your listening/viewing pleasure... ksenia was nice enough to run the video camera at or last show. This is our rendition of MUSE's time is running out, and our own little number Political Satire. Enjoy. Rock on, Rock hard, and Rock always.


5 comments:

Dad E. said...

Love your music. Thanks for sharing.

Nastia said...

Zach, that really is awesome. I can't believe it's been 10 years. Makes me feel really old, since I went to your guys' shows in high school! You rock. Angel Pumping Gas is still my favorite. Haha.

Nastia

Mandee said...

Beautifully put, Zach! ...keep this up and just think how crazy awesome you guys will be at the 2017 Hillsboro Stake Dance :)

NEVER stop the rockin', Lindsey Pool!!!

Colleen said...

Man, how time flies! What GREAT memories we have of following "the band" around wherever you were playing and watching you get better and better and better. It's been so rewarding for me to see you be able to live your dream and find so much fulfillment and joy from it. It's all been GREAT! I still consider myself your biggest fan because I'm your mom and so proud to be and so proud of you!

Drew said...

Thanks for that post Zach. I remember the first time i saw you guys play. It was your CD release party at Glencoe. I bought your CD, thought it was great, and listened to it as soon as i got home that night.
Not that i am any good at the guitar, but watching you and the band, made me want to learn to play, and that is why i did.
I love your music, i think all you have done, and what you will continue to do will be great. PLEASE always post what new things you have wrote, because it is great to know what you and the band are up to.