After months of headaches, I came home for a routine MRI and to check on the "migraines" I was having. They found the old tumor had grown and was causing hydrocephalus, or "water on the brain."


This required a placement of a shunt to redirect the fluid from my brain to somewhere more convenient like my stomach which apparently absorbs the liquid quickly.

Taking care of the hydrocephalus was step one, step two was shrinking or
(better yet) getting rid of the tumor. The fluid they pump into my veins burns the skin on contact so to avoid this they installed a port. But not just any port but a Power Port.


Today was the first day they accessed the POWER™ port. I had a CT scan to check on how the shunt was working and they pushed some contrast part way through the scan. The port access didn’t hurt at all (great relief for me because I was very concerned) and the contrast felt like hot chocolate running though my veins, very cool but very hot.

And last, I started chemotherapy today. It is only hour 0 of 78 but so far I feel great. WAHOOO. I took 1 and a 1/2 tablets of Thioguanine. At hour 60 I add Procarbazine and hour 72 I add CCNU.



Sorry that was kind of long and boring but now you know everything I know.
5 comments:
Boring? As I sat in my office reading your very informative blog, a coworker, Craig, came by and started asking all these questions about what it is that I'm reading. Craig is about 60 and is one of the chattiest and most opinionated people I've ever met. He asked me a thousand questions about what happened and how the shunt got put in and about your chemo and what you were studying in school and what you're like and on and on. It is now about 50 minutes later and he just walked out of the door. Boring? I think not.
The molecular structures really brought the whole thing together for me... before I was having to imagine the molecular structures in my mind... now that they are written out, I can finally make some concrete sense of those darn molecules. single and double bonds and all.
Yeah, the molecular structure was really for Ksenia but I am glad you enjoyed it.
So what I pictured in my mind was RIGHT! YESSSS!
The chemical structures didn't catch my attention as being out of place... I guess that exposes my nerdiness.
Post a Comment