Tuesday, May 22, 2007

We are three!






This past Saturday, we celebrated Will turning three.

He requested an all red birthday (his "favorite and best" color), toy frogs, and costumes. We ate flapjacks for breakfast before heading to the Hogle Zoo for the morning. Will kept squealing excitedly and, after every exhibit, asking when we could see the lions and tigers. The lion was on vacation but Will was just as thrilled with the other animals like the elephants, the miniature monkeys, and the gorillas. (Jane frankly didn't care about any of it and got her beauty rest for most of the excursion).

We ate lunch at the Spaghetti (“speggli”) Factory and went home to eat a red velvet layered cake on all red place settings and to open all red presents. So far favorite gifts have been the Zimbbos wooden stacking game from Grandma and Grandpa, toy police handcuffs, and his costumes.

He's excited to be three. He's into dressing himself and doing his own hair (which he smooths forward with way too much hair product), rhyming, painting, Superman, and pretend play. When asked what he wants to be when he grows up, he said either a writer or a helper to Mom and Daddy, and perhaps what Daddy does, but that just means bringing a bag to work and eating lunch and playing. When asked if he will stay this age forever, he says with a sense of duty that he has to get bigger, and then giggles at our dismay. What can you do but shrug and enjoy it while you can?

8 comments:

Colleen said...

Thanks for sharing Will's birthday with us!!! It sounds like lots of fun. I'm so glad he liked the stacking game. I found the coolest toy store ever tucked away in downtown Hillsboro where I may do alot of my "grandma" shopping from now on. Wish we could have been there.

Margaret Everton said...

The games were perfect. Totally what I would have picked out and what I've looked at before, actually. You definitely hit the bullseye with what he's into. I'd love to visit the toystore when we're in town next.

Beau said...

What a cool day. Wish I could be there. I love the description about how he does his own hair.

Anonymous said...

How fun! I wish I could have been at the party instead of working! Superman needs to save me from my job. Maybe his parents should go out of town so I can babysit him....

Drew said...

That all sounds like it was a lot of fun. Happy late birthday Will!! I also enjoy toys grandma....

Zach said...

Cute Cute kids... i feel like i've missed most of Will's life. Now Jane... what great unfathomable woe... That's it... we're going to follow you guys to Pennsylvania. I'm sick of missing all this stuff.

Dad E. said...

Love the pictures. Beautiful family and Will wears 3 so well. Can you believe you have a 3 year old at home. I'm sure that is almost as big as having a son that turns 30 this year. Keep the updates coming. Love ya'll...

Mal said...

Oh wow. I've got the coolest nephew on the planet. I can't believe he's THREE already! You guys have a 3-year-old. That's huge.