...and I'll say this: moving is stressful! Don't get me wrong, everything that contributes to my current stress is good stuff, but: hey, man, stress is stress. There's the new baby, the power-exerting three-year-old, the question of where he'll go to school in the fall, boxing up our place, selling it, vacationing, exercising, losing baby weight, writing, getting feedback from an editor about a short story, hair the right color blond?, what spill on the carpet?, etc.
You know me. I'm easily caught up in my stress. Want to do everything, want to do it right. Tense up over probably unimportant details, but details that matter to me, that I can't in good conscience let slip. My inner cynic laughs at myself for setting a new year's goal to SIMPLIFY.
Last week as we were making breakfast and hatching out, Will asked if he could eat outside on the back porch. The morning sun had just begun to cast its summer light over the neighborhood, and the four of us found ourselves on the back steps--steel cut oats, al fresco. Birds sang. A butterfly landed on Will's playhouse before blinking its wings out of sight. (A bumblebee also flew into our house and around our kitchen until Travis went in and beat it against a window.) For a minute, my shoulders relaxed, I noticed how green the grass is along our fence line, I looked at the sheep cloud that Will pointed out. I forgot to stress about all the things I've been trying to do to create that abundant feeling that comes by simply doing things like slowing down and sitting outside. And until a realtor popped by unexpectedly, an egg splattered on the kitchen floor, and I began boxing up china, I sat on the back step and thought to myself: peace.
What do YOU do to destress?
8 comments:
Oh, Margaret, I can so relate. I know our temperaments are different so I don't know if this helps, but I breathe deeply, say a fervent prayer that I'll be directed to what's most important first and to be blessed with the ability to handle whatever comes up, then just focus on one thing at a time (as best I can with multiple things to do) and get that one thing done before I move on. (Sounds easier than it is, I know.) Good luck! My prayers are with you, if that helps. Can't wait to see you!
I actually just like to drown the clutter in my head with a hot bath and dark chocolate.
Coming this weekend! I'm so going to your new Trader Joe's.
The key to relaxation for me is distraction. If i can convince myself that I my problems do not exist for at least a short period of time, it helps me look at them with a renewed perspective (once i convince myself to come back to reality). Usually playing the guitar accomplishes that, but I'm sure a lot of things could also do this. I heard marajuana works or large amounts of alcohol.
Unlike Zach over here, I can't really distract myself sufficiently to destress... hence I am stressed almost all of the time. What helps me is to set a small goal that is part of a larger goal (the apartment is a mess, goal #1: clean the bathroom). Once I accomplish something, I merit a small reward (take a bath in the newly shined tub, go for a walk with Zach, get some gelato, eat an entire box of chocolates). During this reward time, I have a lot of guiltless fun because I don't feel like I'm procrastinating (although, technically, I am). This destressing method does require some effort and variable periods of time, for instant gratification refer to Zach's comment.
marajuana? You've obviously lived a sheltered life.
Hence my love for dark chocolate. HellO, brownies...
Kidding of course.
I just limit my stress to one thing in my life at a time and let everything else fall apart. It's very constructive and oh so balanced :)
haha i like all of your comments......I will go with Trav on the limit yourself to one thing to stress about technique letting everything else fall apart. Obviously what you do choose to stress about is most important so the other things really don't matter. haha.....Ok so really, I like to destress by going on a good run and if I can't do that because it is too dang hot outside, then I like to get in my comfy close and make cookies...or just bake anything. It clears my mind and helps me start thinking rationally again. Most things really aren't as bad as I make them out to be. Thanks for the blog Mar! I love them!
Post a Comment