Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I WOULD Have Rather Been Quilting....But Here It Is!

So, as most of you know, I've had a project I've been working on for the past three weeks like non-stop. (I think I may have done some whining to several of you.) Well, I couldn't say "no" when Whitney asked me to make her Prom dress because I love her so much. Her and Mallory have been best friends for most of their life and if there was anybody I couldn't say "no" to, it was Whitney. It turned out to be the most challenging dress I've ever made, and the most time consuming. It took up every spare moment I had for those 3 weeks. As everyone who lives here can attest, they didn't get very many home cooked meals (I thought Dad and Beau were going to turn into a frozen pizza) and housework and laundry were an afterthought. I started 3 weeks early thinking I would get it done with a week to spare so there would be no stress. I was wrong! I finished at a quarter to midnight the night before the dance and had one minor adjustment the morning of the dance. There were many late nights, ripping out seams, rebuilding the bodice to make it modest (it was a sleeveless, off-the-shoulder dress) doing parts over and over until I got it right, countless fittings with Whitney (she's here ALOT so she was very accessible), working with yards and yards...and yards of slippery fabric, taking 3 trys putting in a zipper and then the zipper breaking late at night so I had to buy a new one the next day, but I learned alot. I did things I've never done before, but will hopefully never have to use again because I think I am retiring from Prom dress sewing (unless a granddaughter someday.....long after I've forgotten this experience....asks me -- I don't think I could tell them "no".)

Well, here are pictures of my 3-week project on Whitney, the night of the Prom and I've included a few pictures of Mal and her date Andy and her red Converse tennis shoes. I was kind of against the tennis shoes when she told me she wanted to wear them (I'm WAY too traditional to think it was a good idea). But I have to admit, they totally fit Mal's personality. She looked spunky and fun and that totally fits her. As she reminded me, this wasn't her Prom because she's only a Junior and she wanted Whitney to shine that night. (It also happened to be Whitney's 18th birthday the day of the Prom.)














3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, you are a saint. I don't think the picture does justice to the work you did, or how good the dress looked on Whitney! Well done....and just remember Mal graduates next year. ONE more year of formals! Good luck!

Travis said...

Well done Mom-- you're a trooper and Whitney looked great. Mal, LOVE the shoes-- you rocked that ensemble.

Ksenia said...

You did a great job! I know that Whitney got a lot of compliments on her dress (the wonders of myspace).